A cheap gift idea here - teachers, grandparents etc. I got this idea from a Sunday supplement a friend at work gave me.
You will need:-
- 1 pack of gelatine (20g - I got mine from Tescos for £1.49)
- 600g birdseed (I used Field Fare Wild Bird seed as it had lots of variety - 2.3kg for £2.39)
- cookie cutters
And this is what you do:-
- dissolve the gelatine in 200ml boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes.
- pour gelatine mixture over birdseed and ensure it is all thoroughly coated. Leave this for 40 mins stirring every so often (I forgot this continual stirring....not sure what impact this has had yet!)
- place cookie cutters on chopping board and spoon mixture into them pressing down with the back of a teaspoon.
- leave for 48 hours to dry
- release from cookie cutters, make hole with a skewer to thread a ribbon for hanging
This mixture made approx 10 shapes. I'm a bit nervous about getting them out of the cookie cutters because I feel they are well and truly stuck in there. Ah well, the process of making them was still fun. Kids loved it - even though there were a few disagreements over whose turn it was with the teaspoon...........
I will update you on finished result.