Friday 30 October 2009

The Dahlia Man



There has been a lovely view in our town this summer of a sloping garden covered in Dahlias.  Every day I would drive past growing more curious and eventually saw a 'Flowers for Sale' sign some weeks ago.  I kept meaning to stop, as you do but never get round to doing so..... 

But today I did stop, and I am glad I did.  I met the owner of the garden (who incidentally has also taken over both his neighbours gardens with his Dahlia obsession), he is 79 and every year grows thousands of Dahlias to show.  He sells them throughout the summer to passers by.  Tomorrow he is going to chop them all down so he said that I could take any that I liked as long as I cut them myself. 



 

Here are some pictures of his garden - Dahlias as far as the eye can see!  He has invited me to go back in March and he is going to give me some tubers.






3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. Aren't you glad you stopped. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'love' this post Ans. I've driven past this garden many times, but it never occurred to me to stop! Roll on next summer when our houses will be full of beautiful Dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harry - Hello :) Nice to see you in this space! Absolutely - roll on next summer. How funny that we've never mentioned this garden to each other in person...........?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails